Tuesday, August 4, 2026

Behind the Scenes of Sleeping Beauty



There is nothing more fascinating than being able to go back in time and see production photos from Disney animated films.

We see Mary Costa, who voiced Aurora, visiting Eric Larson, Marc Davis and the ink and paint department.

There are great pics with Marc at his animation desk, and background artists Eyvind Earle with Walt Peregoy.

Also photos that show how a couple of the film's opening scenes were shot in a vertical Multiplane setting.





























8 comments:

  1. Amazing! Quick qs, since the backgrounds were longer, does that mean the cels were as well?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I believe they were, as was the animation paper and supposedly they made new larger desks for this, broken in during the making of Lady and the Tramp and some of the widescreen shorts of the time.

    When they returned to wide-screen production for Atlantis, they opted instead to draw smaller instead of using bigger paper. No cels needed, of course, since the "ink-and-paint" by then was all digital.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I looked of the photo where they're planning how the storybook bookends of the film were about to be shot, I kinda wondered, and I ask of you, did the Disney studio really made their version of one of the "Lady and Unicorn" tapestries? And is it possible that "Sleeping Beauty" takes place in 14th century France??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe it was on loan from a museum...they surely had the pull and money to do so...it looks faded too and if they made a new one would they bother to replicate that? Im just speculating.

      Delete
    2. Oh ok, thanks. I mean, I "Googled" the "Lady and the Unicorn" tapestries and tried to find one of the tapestries that could've been used but, I believe, to no avail.

      Delete
    3. The tapestries are on Cluny Museum, Paris, but this seems to be a sort of pastiche on diferent parts, plus some decorations from another timeframe...

      Delete
  4. I agree...I love seeing the production process of how they brought that story to life. Sleeping Beauty is one of my favorites...the artistry in that film is striking. I love the one picture of the opening shot with flags hanging. That shot appears to be quite the physical setup.

    Also, I couldn't see the enlarge version of the movie marquee picture, the very first picture. I think a wrong link is there as it goes to another photo. FYI....

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks you for sharing the photographs! 😚😊
    Okay, I See Mary Costa in the ninth picture...Is the second woman Ruthie Tompson or just an unknown employee? 😊

    ReplyDelete