Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Milt Kahl venting in Dallas



A lovely portrait of Robin Hood and Maid Marian from the ending of the movie. As so often with his characters, Milt drew Robin ever so slightly cross-eyed, which for some unbeknown reason actually adds appeal.
I am posting a 1973 newspaper article from the Dallas Times Herald, which originally appeared on Chris Sobienak's blog. So here Milt is in Dallas promoting the film, and talking to a bunch of journalists.

Writer Susan Barton doesn't quite know what to make of this outspoken Disney animator. For starters she confuses Milt's Tigger with Kellogg's Tony, the tiger...hysterical!
But as usual Milt speaks his mind about issues he faces at the studio, like the use of live action and a new book that had just been published, in which Walt Disney is portrayed in an unflattering light.
You can tell from his comments, that Milt had the utmost respect and admiration for his boss.

And where are those character drawings now...?



11 comments:

  1. Great article, thanks for sharing Andreas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Milt Kahl was a master of clarity! He made such great points about so many seemingly obvious things in the industry!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did Milt do any of the Albatross in the Rescuers? I thought that was all Ollie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Milt helped out with character designs:
      http://andreasdeja.blogspot.com/2014/03/orville.html

      Delete
  4. Hi Andreas! Huge fan. I'm not sure if you're still looking for inbetweeners, interns, or slaves for your film but I would be honored to be any of the above. Here are samples of some projects:
    animation:
    http://youtu.be/JEjakkHc4sA
    http://youtu.be/KO2sYsXlNNE
    drawing:
    http://digitalcanvaz.blogspot.com/2016/02/2-minute-gesture-sketches-from-last-week.html
    The experience and exposure alone would be enough compensation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing this bit of history. It's fun to read period articles about animation and artists, especially ones with Milt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. And where are those character drawings now...?

    I'm suppose in some guy's attic in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, but I'm only hypothesizing the possibility. I don't want to think they were merely thrown out.

    Thanks for giving me a heads-up again Andreas! I have to remind myself I put up those photos/scans years back, though sadly I did have to part with this...
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-bmtnalmw1XM/UJsOx04K6-I/AAAAAAAAJns/VqxPC4IKTfY/s1600/GalleryCard%2B1.jpg
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-E33vUniUgUo/UJsOymKAfUI/AAAAAAAAJn4/8oWl8WCsq7Q/s1600/GalleryCard%2B2.jpg
    Someone who I suppose was from the area had spotted my blog entry and asked if he could buy it from me, after a bit of time, I managed to sell it to him for $50. I thought it seemed reasonable since it's nothing special besides being a small folded card promoting this gallery exhibit, it doesn't even have Milt's signature or anything, though I will miss seeing my town's museum namedropped among others that had apparently showcased Disney animation artwork in (Toledo, OH). I don't see anything like that anymore, but the thought of Robin Hood cels being on display in my hometown just sorta impressed me if it happened (I could go look it up if I must).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I'm suppose in some guy's attic in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area..."

      Nope. On my stairs.

      Delete
    2. Damn! Glad to get some update here!

      Delete
  7. Here they are: http://imgur.com/a/e7Tr9

    ReplyDelete