Monday, March 11, 2013

Insightful Comments

In this clip from the 1977 UK TV show Ken Anderson, Ward Kimball, Marc Davis and Frank Thomas remember Walt Disney, Mickey Mouse and what it was like working at the studio in the old days.
I find these reflections fascinating, Frank Thomas might be exaggerating a little when he talks about relationships among the artists. Sure, there were egos, likes and dislikes, but in general these guys respected each other for their unique talents and contributions to the films.
I know this because they told me so, including cranky Milt.


11 comments:

  1. Disney animation becomes even more fascinating when you think about the people side of things, and how everyone functioned in relation to eachother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very insightful! I love these guys. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did you get to meet all these guys Andrea. If so they must have had some very interesting stories to tell.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, very insightful – thank you for this. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always enjoy hearing the comments of the animators; it's great to get inside their heads a little.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post. It is important to remember that the artists who work on films are prone to the same trials and triumphs as the rest of us and are not just cogs in a machine.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's easy to ignore a single bird, but a passing flock always gets my attention. There's something warmly contradictory that such a structured, disciplined, and united gathering is composed of the freest things in nature. Ward spoke of the artist's natural drive toward independence and creative freedom; I think we can all agree. This is also why I find that one of Walt's and the nine-old-men's greatest achievements was born from their wisdom that to fly a distance as great as an animated feature, they had to first learn how to be a free thing in a flock.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is so true what Marc Davis sad in the video, about the joy of entertaining others with such high quality masterpieces! True indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this and have shared with my fellow animator friends. What a great universe of people to be part of. I feel like they are all my family.

    ReplyDelete