Monday, March 30, 2015

A Lecture on The Nine Old Men


Some of you might know that I have been working on a book with Focal Press on the art of Disney's Nine Old Men. Right now it looks like the release date will be this coming August. (The subtitle has been changed to "Disney's Great Animators")
It has been super exciting to analyze their work again, and to show how individual each of their contributions were. Their work methods, drawing styles as well as their tastes contrasted each other immensely.

On this coming Saturday, April 4, I will give an online talk showcasing the work of the Nine Old Men. As usual this will happen in connection with my friends at Virtual Animators. 
I will also talk about these guys as people, the way I met them and stayed in touch. John Lounsbery and Les Clark had already passed away when I came to LA, but I did get to know members of their families. 
Aside from talking about the brilliant work of this group of artists, I will share with you anecdotes, because some fun stuff occured when I spent time with them. A visit with Kimball was never just a visit, I always drove home laughing my head of. 

If you are interested in joining me for the talk, here is the link to Virtual animators:


Here is a pic of Kimball and me, he is showing me a huge folder filled with studio gag drawings by himself, Fred Moore and Walt Kelly. Amazing!


7 comments:

  1. Hey Andreas, I pre ordered this book last year through amazon and I can't wait until it is finished. I know it will be totally worth the year long wait before I receive my copy. I have collected endless reference on the nine old men through images, pencil tests, movie clips,etc. just to study there animation techniques and drawing styles. That's why I really really love your blog because it is a great way to learn from these legendary masters of animation. Although, I didn't have the pleasure and honor of meeting these men or being mentored by them as you were so fortunate, I'm thankful that their work is still out there for us to study and analyze and you have done all of us aspiring animators a great service with this blog. Thank you so much!!!....... By the way, I know you're extremely busy but I just wanted to follow up on the internship and artist positions you were looking for to help on your film and was just wondering if those positions have been filled. Being taken under your wing and mentored by a master as yourself would be a dream come true, just as you felt when you were being mentored under the legends. Thank you again for your time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would like to know about artists positions for Mushka movie too. I put my email in the comments of the last post about it and would love to show some of my work. The keep returning.

      Delete
  2. This is so exciting! I want to get the book as soon as I can! wow!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please tell me that Ward produced that fine painting in the background!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Andreas, I am excitedly awaiting your book!

    I'm also a former Disney animator, and I run a non-profit online community aimed at teaching animation similar to the old methods.

    I don't want to spam and post a link here, but I would be honored if you would write an article for our site. Ed Hooks just wrote one this week!

    Email me on:
    dj.nicke@animationsalvation.com

    I hope to talk soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Andreas I have to say I'm really excited about this book I'm going to get it myself but I do have one big question about it when u were working on it did u get any ideas or I should say inspiration from John Canemaker's book about the Nine old men?

    ReplyDelete