Thursday, June 22, 2017

Lilo and Stitch



Fifteen years ago the film Lilo and Stitch had its US premiere.
Thinking about this movie now makes me realize that it turned out to be one of my favorite projects I ever worked on. The story and the characters are highly unconventional yet very memorable and emotional. I remember that everybody who worked on the film felt so lucky to be a part of something extra special. (Just look at this breathtaking background.)

Lilo and Stich touched many people. People who identified with situations that had never before been portrayed in a Disney animated film.
It touched me, too, as an animator. I remember tearing up a little while working on certain scenes, like the hammock sequence. How crazy is that?

Read this just published article by Damian Alexander for Teen Vogue. It shows you what an impact an animated movie can have.

http://www.teenvogue.com/story/lilo-and-stitch-anniversary-parentless-gay

I haven't watched Lilo and Stitch in many years, I think its time to take a break and revisit what we were doing at Disney over fifteen years ago.


11 comments:

  1. I love the unique relationships between the characters in this movie. I also love the clever way it blended Hawaiian culture, elvis and aliens so seamlessly! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It´s a treasure. One of the great movies of all the times. Really...The BEST thing that Disney have done in the last 20 years...sorry for the rest, but it´s true...The little details (like the ugly duckling book that Stitch found), Lilo, her sister, the awesome backgrounds, the Elvis thing on it...the movie it´sooooooo special! I thinks it´s a masterpiece.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It has become one of my (now 6 years old) daughters favorite movies, and the sequels and series also remain very high in quality. We had Lilo & Stitch on her birthday cake (along with Moana stuff, too, of course).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like better Tangled or Frozen and other Disney classics than Lillo and Stich i don't like the story about a little girl who lost her parents and she live all by herself with her big sister who is 18 of 16 years old.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And even BAMBI 2 was one of the best project you ever worked Andreas since The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin and The Lion King.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Andreas!Do you have the pencil tests of your animation on Lilo that you could share with us? I'd love to see it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A great film, and somehow Stitch reminds me of my French Bulldog, with the character's ears and mannerisms. Beautiful animation!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dear Andreas!

    working as a story artist, 2d animator and director’s assistant I am writing to you on behalf of a russian animation feature production. Here in Moscow, we’re trying to pursuit the goal of classical 2d character animation.
    Also we’re big fans of your work. We would greatly appreciate your reply to my further initiatives.
    Could it be possibly interesting to you to give some portfolio review to our animators?
    Give some directions and estimate the level of work?
    Is it possible to have a Q&A session with you?
    This would help to encourage our team and move forward our production.
    If you would somehow consider this please tell us your conditions.
    We would be happy to hear your answer with any suggestions.
    Sincerely,
    Polina Minaeva
    onewhaletale@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I came across your blog while looking up something about The Aristocats. Disney movies were an integral part of my childhood and now I get to share these treasures with my son. Lilo came out right after my parents divorced. Oh Ana was just what I needed to hear then. Thanks for sharing! ❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember that background, its one that I painted. I don't remember who did the layout drawing. Bob Stanton did a small color-key for this shot only a few inches wide. Notice that the plants are also sad and droopy.


    Peter Moehrle

    ReplyDelete