Friday, March 31, 2023

Old Milt Kahl

 


A great photo of Milt working on The Aristocats, sometime in 1969 or 1970. Afterwards he would work on two more animated features before leaving Disney, Robin Hood and The Rescuers.

Madame Bonfamille is a unique character in terms of her realistic design and illustrative look. I remember seeing the film for the first time, and I was thinking: She is different, she looks like a beautiful magazine illustration come to life. I wondered who mastered such a unique challenge.

In the pic Milt is re-working the first drawing from one of her opening scenes, in which she inspects her appearance in a mirror in anticipation of her lawyer George Hautecoure's visit.



Here is the link to an earlier post about this scene:

https://andreasdeja.blogspot.com/2015/05/animated-elegance.html

And a relating post:

https://andreasdeja.blogspot.com/2012/05/madame-bonfamille.html


Here are copies of Milt's rough animation drawings from Madame Bonfamille's first close up scene. What delicate drawings!









9 comments:

  1. Hey Andreas! Thank you for sharing the beautiful drawings by Milt Kahl. She indeed looks like a magazine illustration come to life. On a side note, I have a reverse-engineered scene from Snow White I'd love to share with you, along with some ink and painted shots from the lost 'Soup Scene.' I know that you are a 'Jungle Book expert' of sorts, so I also have a couple questions I'd like to ask you. If you're interested in reaching out, feel free to email me at 'brandon.kouri@gmail.com' Thanks, and I appreciate your time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She really does look more realistic, it is especially clear in her scenes with George, who's more "cartoony". Such beautiful drawings.
    (On a side note, happy birthday Andreas!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Milt's drawing was so good in the Aristocats. And he's using an Eagle Turquoise pencil which was my favorite back in the day 😂
    And Happy Birthday, Andrea's 🎉

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy belated Birthday, Mr Deja! 😅

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you had a great time ysterday! 😚💐

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are there any rotoscoping films left in the Disney archive?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No t here isn't. But remember,Madame Bonfamille was animated without live action reference,

      Delete
  7. I want to be Madame Bonfamille when I grow up. It's fascinating to see how realistic she looks!! Milt was truly the best of the best.

    ReplyDelete