Saturday, April 6, 2024

Otto Dill


Up until a few days ago I have never heard of Otto Dill. I don't know how that's even possible, since Dill is a German Painter who lived from 1884 until 1957. As soon as I googled him I fell in love with his work. He was known as the painter of lions, but his work includes a vast variety of animals as well as landscapes. I am still trying to analyze his impressionistic style, and who might have influenced him. I can see hints of Delacroix  and Daumier. 

Dill started drawing and observing animals in zoos, before traveling to North Africa, Italy, France and Spain for further study and painting. He was an extremely prolific artist, but unfortunately a large collection of his work was destroyed in 1943 during a bombing in WWII. Still, much of his art is still around and sought after by collectors and museums. In 2001 his home town Neustadt an der Weinstrasse opened a museum in his name. They only exhibit his work. 

I don't know about you guys, but I ask myself the question: Where have you been hiding all my life?















This painting of a tiger knocks me out...for obvious reasons. 


4 comments:

  1. Happy belated Birthday, Mr Deja! 😊
    I hope you had a " very" nice time last week! 😊
    Thanks for posting and the travel recommandation!😃
    I see the pose and facial expression of the last picture and think they might be expressions much more of a dog than of a cat! 😆

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! I love how the strong shading surprises me, but it feels right too. Great examples of "draw what your eyes see, not what your brain thinks it sees."

    Thanks so much for your posts - I've been a loyal reader for years but I still learn something new nearly every time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you in every point! :)

      A tiger: Heavy weight, pronounced bones and muscles...The pose and facial expression is so great and authentic! :)

      Delete
  3. Wow, beautiful works, one can see the power of those magnificent creatures in all the pieces !
    Thanks for sharing them Andreas ..!

    ReplyDelete