Monday, June 10, 2024

Shere Khan and Kaa II

I talked about this sequence from the Jungle Book before. Here Shere Khan interrogates Kaa, the python, about the man cub. The storyboards were drawn by Vance Gerry and Floyd Norman.

Again I am utterly impressed with Milt Kahl's staging of the two characters. He takes the main idea from the story sketch and draws them in a way that creates a strong visual connection between them. You can see in those rough lines of the tiger that weren't tied down (because those areas are off screen) how hard Milt worked to get the drawing, the shapes and the overall staging just right. Absolute perfection!






Here is the link to a previous post with more of tiger/snake staging masterpieces:

6 comments:

  1. Perfection indeed! So are the character designs more or less worked out by the storyboard phase? Or does it just depend on the production and/or character? I remember reading somewhere that the dalmatians board artist (Bill Peet I believe) was upset because he didnt get any credit for designing any characters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful and infinitely inspiring! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think every animator recognizes "juicy" sequences like this, that are all about character performances.
    Also, I don't know if you were involved, but I just saw the Mama Odie & Juju animatronics, and it looks fantastic! I've never been to the parks or anything like that, but it looked really cool, and I'm glad they are making more use of that movie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yeah...I like this scene so much! ๐Ÿ˜†
    Suspense -> Suprise -> Humour
    And because of great teamwork all good things come together! ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜Š
    Thanks for pour post! ๐Ÿ˜Š
    I think it is a plea that an animation/animated film can be more than just an "animated" movie...

    ReplyDelete