This is the first animation drawing I made of Gaston in Beauty and the Beast. Here he has a larger jaw and a moustache. This is from the opening sequence when we see Belle and Gaston interacting.
When I finished the scene it was cut into the story reel. J.Katzenberg liked the animation ok, but asked me to dial up the character's handsome looks.
So I did, and Jeffrey was right. Gaston needed to be good looking because the Beast isn't. Those two characters needed to have opposite qualities.

Wow, that’s so cool! Were those moments where Gaston admires himself — first in the pan and later in the mirror — originally your idea?
ReplyDeleteAnd by the way, congratulations on reaching 20 million total pageviews on your blog. It’s always a pleasure to read your stories and behind‑the‑scenes insights.
Thanks so much, Justin.
ReplyDeleteI was of course following the storyboards for Gaston's early scenes. But, as always, as an animator you try and plus the staging, attitude and entertainment.
Beutiful sketch! I love the appeal aquired just with "a few" lines.A real inspiration...like all your work! Thank you for sharing all of these amazing pieces of art
ReplyDeleteI love Gaston!
ReplyDeleteLove Gaston. Him and Maleficent are my Favorite Disney Villains. I'm so happy Disney's consulting you for Villains Land. Hey Andreas,
ReplyDeleteI’m Adam Sundquist, co-host of DR96: A Disneyfied Podcast. My buddy Nolan and I host a show dedicated entirely to celebrating Disney and animation history.
Me and Nolan love the work you did for Disney and would be absolutely thrilled to have you on our show for a quick 30 to 40-minute guest spot.
We’d love to chat with you about your legendary work bringing iconic villains like Scar and Jafar to life, as well as your incredible independent film, Mushka. We handle all the recording tech on our end (Which is Zoom) to keep things easy for you.
Would you be open to chatting with us for a future episode?
Thank you so much for you're time and for inspiring generations of artists!
Best regards,
Adam Sundquist & Nolan Knouf
DR96: A Disneyfied Podcast
Hi Andreas,
ReplyDeleteI have been a fan of hand-drawn Disney animation since I saw Mulan in the theater back in 98. I am very much interested in history and genealogy. A few years ago, I started my own blog about Disney animated films called Joe's Disney Animated Film Adventures. I have mentioned you a few times there. By the way, my maternal uncles' wife is actually from the area of Germany that you grew up in. And she is just a few months younger than you are. Who knows, maybe you know each other. She actually just retired from teaching German at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor. My uncle has also retired from teaching Sociology there and is actually a skilled artist himself. I just watched Mushka earlier today and loved it!