Saturday, May 28, 2016

Just a Phrase...



A few years ago I ran into Oscar Grillo at CTN Expo in Burbank. Oscar is an an extraordinary, award winning  animation artist from Argentina, who made London his home a long time ago.
Five minutes into our conversation we started to debate the current state of the animation industry.
When I mentioned how disappointed I felt about the overall change from pencil animation to CG animation Oscar looked at me and said:
"THE INVENTION OF THE AUTOMOBILE MADE THE HORSE LOOK NOBLE!"

The statement blew me away, and I've been feeling great ever since.



7 comments:

  1. 2D animation is doing so well over here that we find it a constant challenge to find enough people to put together a decent crew. Lots of talented students want to go into 2D as well – as far as I'm concerned they can't graduate fast enough. It's only 'dead' at the big studios in LA!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live in England, but there's 2D happening all across Europe, especially in France and Denmark. That said, I've had a few smaller operations in the US and Canada ask me if I can freelance as well. There's a lot more demand for competent animators with good draftsmanship than there are people who can deliver ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you chimed-in on that , Tealin. Looking forward to seeing your work on Ernest & Ethel !

      https://ethelandernestmovie.wordpress.com/2016/05/12/animator-sarah-airriess/

      Delete
  3. I really wish animation studios would stop relying on poop, fart and belching jokes. I know they are quick and easy laugh gags but come on! Have some class! There are other things that can be done for a quick and easy laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How true!
    In light of this somewhat hopeful discovery,
    will you be uploading some horse sketches? :)

    Love the work you've been sharing so far,
    esp. the Bambi/deer simple drawings -
    & looking forward to more animal art.

    ReplyDelete