Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Disney 1949



UK PICTUREGOER Magazine published this article in December of 1949. Disney's latest feature film offering had been So Dear to my Heart. The writer was obviously dissatisfied with Disney having turned to live action/animation mix films. At that time general audiences, too, preferred full length animated feature films.
It is interesting that the absence of those films during the late 1940s is being discussed, due to financial difficulties at the studio.

As for myself, I always thought that the story in So Dear to my Heart is a bit saccharin. But the film is beautifully shot, and the animation is terrific. Milt Kahl's introduction to the Wise Owl character at the beginning of the film is unbelievable. Very appealing, inventive actions and timing.
The three main animated sequences deal with David and Goliath, Christopher Columbus and a couple of Scottish characters, including a spider. All feature spectacular effects animation.





Technicolor publicly thanks Walt Disney for working with them.




5 comments:

  1. Where do it came from the Magazine 1941 in the Disney archives? .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Magazines like these can also appear other places, Jeremy. I know Disney historian Didier Ghez discovered a Danish magazine Se & Hør from 1959 with an article on Walt Disney and the latest animated feature Sleeping Beauty. I failed to provide a full translation on that article on his blog, but did give a synopsis on what it's about. I think it will be too late to do the full translation right now, as the item was blogged months ago.

    As for me, I discovered another old Danish magazine long time ago, featuring an interview with Walt Disney on his "Grand Tour" in Europe. I surprised a few Disney historians about it, so I gave Didier my scans of it, and a full translation of it to Garry Apgar for his research

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did collection all the Disney Diamond Edition Bluray dvd, in France we have all the Diamond Edition of Snow White, Bambi, Beauty and the Beast, The Little Mermaid.

      Delete
  3. What was John Lounsbery's animation on the film?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andreas, do you have news of Lisa Keene, I don't know if she goes to the D23 expo she is the best pinter background of The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King, The Hunchback of Notre dame, Atlantis, The Princess and the Frog, Tangled and Frozen.

    ReplyDelete