Monday, December 18, 2017

Disney Cel Set Ups


 


About a couple of years ago auction house Bonham & Butterfields offered a number of beautiful Disney cel set ups. To see them lined up like this showcases again the studio's exquisite color palette for its animated films.
Disney background painters as well as color model artists (who came up with final colors for the characters) were experts from the beginning. Even the early Silly Symphonies displayed a refined sense for color that enhanced storytelling and character development.
One big challenge had always been to choose flat cel character colors that would fit in with the more rendered backgrounds. Not an easy thing to accomplish.

To me Disney's film images have always been a feast for the eyes and the senses. They make you feel something, you get emotionally involved.

Some of these backgrounds match the actual cel, others were specifically painted by studio artists for sale.




























8 comments:

  1. How do they decide which artworks get archived and which ones can be sold on?
    Or do does artwork leak out by unofficial means?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the expression of Jaq on Cinderella and the Cel of Sleeping Beauty is fantastic it's my favorite movie, the second Cel the Snowflakes from Fantasia reminds me of Bambi 2 and Frozen, I will like to try to pinting on the Cel I don't know if there is a school where Younger people of 21 and 23 years-old of my age come to do pinting on a Cel I will like to try one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Mr. Norman. The digital drawings lack something that only pencil and paper can produce. I follow Aaron Blaise, and some of his digital drawimgs are stunning, but they're digital and lack emotion as you say. It's also not as romantic. I miss seeing the stuff you guys used to put out.

      Delete
  3. The emotional resonance is what's missing from animated films today. Great productions values, of course. But, I don't feel a damn thing when looking at the art. Art created digitally can never compared to art created without the digital interface. Sorry if that offends digital filmmakers...but, there it is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your right Floyd I'm agree with you, I really wish if Disney bring back the style of the classic of the 40s and 60s animation that we didn't see a long time like Bambi, Snow White, Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty theses are the classic the real ones I love the movies of my generation wen I was born in 1993 but I prefer the Style back then beacause of traditional.

      Delete
  4. These are all spectacular, but the owl especially appeals to me. The way that all the cel colors show the influence of the yellow-green background is absolutely magic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing, nice post! Post really provice useful information!

    Giaonhan247 chuyên dịch vụ gửi hàng đi úc, gửi hàng đi canada cũng như dịch vụ vận chuyển hàng đi mỹ giá rẻ với bài chia sẻ cách mua hàng trên ebay và hướng dẫn cách mua hàng trên amazon, mua hàng pandora úc uy tín.

    ReplyDelete