Tuesday, December 12, 2017

"We Must Both Look Our Best for George"



...He is our oldest and dearest friend, you know."
English character actress Hermione Baddeley read those lines in this scene as Madame Bonfamille in The Aristocats.
Even after all those years I am still baffled at how amazingly Milt Kahl animated this realistic character with grace and believability. Of course he simplified her human figure, and what you see are vintage Kahl shapes and forms. Disney layout artist/producer Joe Hale told me once: " Only Milt was able to pull off stylized designs with strong straight lines against curves."

I just love her elegant movements and charm. And the fact that the drawings were kept rough and loose doesn't bother me at all.  I call her a "mini Kahl masterpiece".

















6 comments:

  1. That's amazing Andreas, I just like the movement of Mademe Bonfamille sounds like Angela Lansbury style, who is Hermione Baddeley I never heard of it i saw The Aristocats wen I was very little I was 4 years old in 1997, I didn't see this movie for a long time I should watch on the Internet like Free movies, thank you for posting Milt Kahl artworks Andreas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if Milt enjoyed animating this character, or if, like earlier in his career, he felt he was missing out on the more fun assignments.
    I bet he enjoyed doing the Butler and the old guy. Those characters are very recognisable as his

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's pretty much how he felt about those three characters.

      Delete
  3. Long time lurker first time responding. Love Love your blog and it always impacts me with the great art and insights. Thanks for doing this
    Best
    Dean White
    deanwhitecolor on Instagram

    ReplyDelete