Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Dalmatians Mix


Here is a small selection of various art from 101 Dalmatians. This was Disney's first animated feature set in a modern, contemporary setting, and you can see a sense of excitement and experimentation in the artists' work. The image above from the film's opening sequence shows what animation does best,
a terrific personality idea presented in clear, fresh graphic form.

Ken Anderson came up with these character two doodles.

A few examples of Bill Peet's extraordinary story sketches, beautifully staged and full of personality.

These illustrations appeared in a children's book that was published around the film's release.
I love the restricted two-tone approach to the paintings.

Some of Frank Thomas' early studies which show his attempt at giving human emotions to a Dalmatian.

The official studio stationary which announced the arrival of a whole new (and different) Disney animated film. One of the best motion pictures ever made, in my opinion.


  1. When a documentary was included with the DVD, I was so surprised to learn Walt Disney was so disappointed by the film. Yes, stylistically the film was a departure from the previous films, but what display of expression from the artists. I wonder if I hadn't grown up with it, might I have a different view point. I believe it is as brilliant today as it was then. A masterpiece.

  2. By far, one of my favorite animated features, and what an amazing group of people on that film. Wish today's movies would push the boundaries like this one did. Love it!

  3. I absolutely adore that piece of concept art at the top of the page! Who was the artist that did it?