Wednesday, December 13, 2017

More Early Black Cauldron II




Certain items from the recent Heritage Auction brought back a lot of memories. Look at this dynamic pastel by Mel Shaw, Mel's room was filled to the brim with extraordinary artwork like this. He must have created hundreds of images for The Black Cauldron. One of the most prolific Disney artists I have ever encountered.
These were the days when the studio had several unique artists trying out for the film's character designs. The original idea was noteworthy, a new fresh style might have been the result.
Before I started on the movie, Milt Kahl, who had left the studio after The Rescuers in 1976, was approached to help out with character concepts. At that time Milt lived in Marin County, just north of San Francisco.
I remember during my first visit, he showed me prints of the designs he had come up with.
Milt said that these kind of characters would be easy for him to animate, but that the studio at the time didn't have artists with the kind of caliber to pull this off. He was right.
But the question remains: Should we even have bothered trying for the Milt Kahl Disney house style?
After all, Tim Burton was working feverishly to present his unique vision for the film.





I don't think I ever mentioned that Marc Davis also contributed design ideas. These sketches lack the graphic "bite" Marc was known for, but his staging is still beautiful.







Tim Burton was also extremely prolific during the early stages of The Black Cauldron. But the studio wasn't ready to apply his approach for the movie. 
I remember discussing the need of life drawing with him. He said: "I need anatomy classes more than anybody in the world."



All of this occurred more than 35 years ago!!! That's an insane realization, because I remember it like it was not so long ago.



15 comments:

  1. I never liked Burtons style and felt it never belonged in the Disney studio. I wonder what Kahl thought of his work...Your blog has really turned me into a Kahl enthusiast. He probably is the best animator of all time. Seems like he only drew lines that were needed. Everything was so clean that he did. What was he really like?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Andreas
    I just wanted to say a big thank you for your blog. The Tim Burton art is amazing in its own right, such a talented guy. Happy Christmas to you and yours
    Thanks
    Norman

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Norman. Merry Christmas to you as well!

      Delete
  3. Wow! I am a little shocked with these Marc Davis drawings, not really strong from an artist of his caliber. Maybe he was getting too old. Milt still could draw amazingly well. Not too crazy for these Tim Burton's drawings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Respect Marc Davis ok he's the best Disney legendary artist in the world, so don't judge Marc so Respect him.

      Delete
    2. Sorry to say this but i like Marc's designe he drew very beautifully than Tim Burton.

      Delete
    3. Sandro is a pretty damn good animator himself! I guess it had just been a while since Marc Davis had drawn anything like this

      Delete
    4. It is just amazing to me to see that all of us sometimes struggle a bit, even the top guys like Marc Davis. I am still a big fan of Marc's work, his Cruela Devil was just brilliant in terms of design and also Maleficent and Briar Rose. Also. Marc's designs for Disneyland and all his aniamtion, he was a genius. I agree with Marc Hendry, perhaps it had just been a while since he did designs when he helped out on Cauldron. It makes us "mortals" feel better when we see that even the "gods" of animation sometimes struggle too.

      Delete
    5. Ooops I'm sorry Sandro, I'm very sorry to say respect Marc I'm 23 years-old so I thought it was a guy of my age like 21 so I'm very sorry I did a mistake 😦, but did you work on The Princess and the Frog you're an excellent artist Sandro I respect your work your art is beautiful I like it ☺.

      Delete
    6. Your Design sketches of the Disney studios and DreamWorks are wonderful I read your commentaries in the Art Books wonderful work Sandro I really appreciate your talent.

      Delete
  4. I wish they had made more use of Eilonwy's glowing orb.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is Tim Burton's character on the left supposed to be Taran? I would say Disney didn't use his work cause he was Little Ward Kimball.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ward Kimball blows Tim Burton away in my opinion. No disrespect to Tim Burton, but his style is not disneyesque.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing, nice post! Post really provice useful information!

    Sản phẩm may dua vong là quà tặng tuyệt vời giúp bé yêu ngủ ngon giấc, là phương pháp ru con thời hiện đại của các ông bố bà mẹ bận rộn. Hệ thống website máy đưa võng TS của An Thái Sơn gồm: Mayduavong.biz, Mayduavongtudong.org, Mayduavongts.comTreem.org giúp bé ngủ ngon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the good news that was shared with me.


    goldenslot

    goldenslot

    goldenslot

    ReplyDelete