Thursday, August 21, 2014

Greek Mythology


I just got back from a screening of Disney's Hercules, a film I had not seen since it came out in 1997.
And I have to admit, that I had forgotten how funny it was. Way back in 1997 the movie's satirical humor and its graphic styling might not have been everybody's cup of tea, but watching it today with an enthusiastic audience was a lot of fun.
I'll have more on Hercules in the near future, some material (my pencil tests) I thought was lost just resurfaced. So stay tooned.

In the meantime here are a few beautiful book illustrations depicting Greek Mythology. The artist is Wilhelm M. Busch, and the 1968 book is called "Olympische Liebesspiele" (Olympic Love Games).
I love everyone of these drawings, and if I could draw like this in my next life, that would be ok with me.











11 comments:

  1. Wow! Especially on first one, how beautiful changes of thickness on the line!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a shame Andreas!!! You never more watched Hercules…hahahaha, kidding!! Man, waiting for the pencil tests so badly!!! Thank you for the post Andreas!!!! We love your work!!! Seriously!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Hercules a lot, especially the animation of Hercules and of Phil! Staying tuned for the pencil tests.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had forgotten that you animated the hero in that picture. I remember there was this one scene I think it was with Meg after he took care of the centaur, there was this animated sequence where his head movement kind of had a similar look to Gaston. Was that a sequence you did for the movie?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah...that was one of my sections.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. interesting. So was it your idea to add Scar in as a throw rug for Hercules to wear while posing for a painting?

      Delete
    2. No, but I thought it was a funny idea.

      Delete
    3. It really was. So what was your favorite sequence to animate in Hercules?

      Delete
  6. Yes, I remember the Scar part as well... it was "satirically" funny! I even re-winded the VHS cassette back then, because I thought my eyes played a trick to me.....

    The film was like a breath of fresh air, great style and humour!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mr. Deja, these are absolutely beautiful!!!!.....and your drawings in this life are also amazing....i especially love Scar from "The Lion King"....I am also into animation...and I can only hope to learn more from you....

    ReplyDelete
  8. Also eindeutiger als im dritten Blld von oben kann eine Einladung wohl kaum sein 😁...
    Ich habe den Witz und die Grafik von Disneys "Hercules" immer sehr gemocht!
    Danke fürs Posten! 😊

    ReplyDelete