Sunday, December 23, 2018

The Marc Davis Touch





I love the French!
I am lucky to have worked in Paris for almost one year (Runaway Brain). So fortunate to have many French friends. My command of the language is not very good, but after a glass of wine I seem to be able to get by with French party talk. My favorite language in the world.
I don't need to point out that the French have class and taste.
When Disney published a book on animator/imagineer Marc Davis in 2014, the cover became an issue of discussion. How do you present Marc's remarkable talents?
Disney/US chose a variety of images that cover a few of Marc's achievements. An obvious choice, since he was Disney's renaissance man.
But look at the cover of the French version! WOW! One drawing that says it all. This partial development drawing of Maleficent shows strength in composition, powerful use of color and of course personality. This image is worthy of a poster!

The book does go into detail about Marc's many talents. (I wrote a chapter on his animal life drawings.) In animation he became known as the master of leading ladies, heroines as well as villainess personalities.







The cover of the US book. It does give you more information about Marc's work, but somehow the French version knocks it out of the park.




5 comments:

  1. Just curious, do you remember working with Sergio Pablos while you were in Paris? I heard he's directing a movie for Netflix.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read the book of The Art of Marc Davis in spring 2014 wen I was 21 years old but i really like the french cover of Maleficent, this wonderful book is a gift by Marc Davis, we wish if you're make other books like Milt Kahl, Frank Thomas, Ollie Johnston, and others but i hope it will work well and Marry Christmas Andreas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's difficult to disagree! The single image packs more of a punch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. French-Canadian here, though I often shake my head in wonder at my 18th century grandfather and his decision to leave France. For not having the good sense to turn the boat around and head straight back as soon as he saw the indomitable snow. I imagine he was too cold, and perhaps, too exhausted as well, after carving a weary path to his new home by the bay. I bet he looked beyond the ocean with longing, a french-existentially-pain-filled expression, and dreamt of the blooming flowers in southern France. No, that's me, I'm the one dreaming of that! I'm smiling but also serious, humans weren't meant to live anywhere this cold. It's unnatural.

    Marc Davis is by far one of my favorite character designers, and artists. Appeal, composition, color sense, silhouettes, he had it all. https://wdwnt.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Ride09.jpg

    ReplyDelete